Friday, February 24, 2012

My Apologies.... and a revamped take on fish and chips for a Friday

Its been a while, its been far too long... and it would be easier if this was a wine fueled outburst but I can soberly say that I admit at being a bad blogger.   Blame it on a lot of things but mostly blame it on me... and maybe Pinterest... but definitely me.  I have been working on some parts of my life and this baby was supposed to be part of it but I got sidetracked.  On the positive side I have plenty of backed up stories to tell.  So here they come- links and all- so get ready, get your reader ready and off we go-

One of the big changes has been that eating healthy and the gym have become a big part of my life.  I have been going back to Weight Watchers and going to meetings because without them I am bad.  After sticking with that for 6 weeks and loosing over 1stone I started to go Paleo (more primal as I see dairy as OK but anyways more of that later)... so I have been watching what I eat and getting a bit creative to make things work.  Just because your are on a "diet" or eating healthy doesn't mean you are a rabbit or have no taste buds... so here is a little recipe for you to try a few new flavors:
Rabbit made of out rabbit food... odd

Fridays in England mean bring on the chippy... and with it about a bajillion calories.  Now I enjoy my pint or two and being Six Nations season want to be able to join in the fun so I need to satisfy a fish and chips craving in a bit of a healthier way.

Tasty... but deadly... eventually... like a ninja slug (kinda looks like a slug with the antennas on the left)

8PP Paleo Friendly Fish and Chips
Fish (2-3pp depending on size)
-Use what you like but if you are on a budget I would go for Basa or an asian style catfish, found at 1/2 the price of cod or haddock.  Aldi sells 5-6 in a bag for 1.99.
-Heat oven to 180C and place a piece of fish on tin foil.  On top grate pepper a dash of salt and lemon slices.  Wrap tightly in foil and place on rack for 25 minutes.

Chips (4-6pp depending on size)
-Wash a sweet potato and slice into circles less than 0.5cm thick and lay flat on a sheet.  Sprinkle with a dash of olive oil, sea salt, pepper and for the adventurous some cumin and chili powder.  Bake for 45 minutes at 108C and finish off under the grill for crispness.  I find the tastiest ones are a little burn around the edges.

This combined with a tasty 3pp salad (points for 30g of cheese and a dash of oil for dressing) makes for a tasty, filling and point controlled meal.

Pictures to come... off to cut the sweet potatoes!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post a great piece of information. Keep writing such amazing blog post so that people can benefit from it
    Additionally visit Splashbacks near me

    ReplyDelete